Tuesday, March 2, 2010


Who doesn't LOVE Google? For as long as I can remember, I have always gone to Google to search for anything and everything. Today, Chris Nolan, Assistant University Librarian, gave our class insight on Google that I cannot believe I didn’t know before. Usually I just go to the search engine and type the subject that I’m looking for. It had never occurred to me that Google had an advanced search engine. You would think that the idea is kind of a “DUH” thought, but I had never thought to look at the small typing next to the search engine labeled “Advanced Search.” Through the advanced search you can narrow your search to country, language, and even to a specific site such as “.gov.” Not only can you narrow your search, but when the results are downloaded there is small print below each result labeled “Cached.” This link allows you to see the same document on the Google server. The link displays the document with the keywords you typed highlighted. Now if that isn’t nifty, I don’t know what is! What surprised me most was how efficient Google can really be. Through the Advanced Search link, Google allows an academic search to be completed! So, now you can tell your professors to eliminate their discrimination of Google for class research. Although it may take some time, Google is on its way to compete with our own library databases.

No comments:

Post a Comment